Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Buying Trip

Dad and Mom bought a farm many years ago.  My brothers and I grew up on it and have varied connections to it.  However we see it's future, we all agree that the heritage from the dirt and grit of that little spot in the middle of Nebraska has given us the strength to be who we are, and the fortitude to move beyond the memories.  But now we have a farm, the four of us, and we decided to gather to discuss it's future with us.  The gather time was quite wonderful, with opinions shared and aired.  What our future with the farm will become is set in motion, and we are comfortable with the power of family. 

Me?  I decided to make the trip to Nebraska a "buying trip."  So I gathered my tax refund and my two friends. and we made our way back to California in a 17 foot U haul.  Why fly when you can buy is my motto.  My brothers got into connecting us up and we crawled through basements, barns, and attics. At each place we shook hands and loaded up treasures.  We were the real American Pickers for nearly two weeks, and had to hand wash our underwear the last three nights because the truck was too full to risk taking out our suitcases. 

So here's what I learned road tripping. 
  • It's a necessity of life to spend time with good friends.
  • This country of ours is very, very beautiful, and at every turn there is magic.
  • Buying stuff is easy, picking stuff people want is not.
  • Buying stuff is way more fun if you sing to the shopkeeper and make him laugh.
  • Sometimes you have to go down dirt roads for quite a long distance to find a treasure. 
  • You really don't need much luggage. Motels have sinks and clothes dry before morning. 
  • There are delightful people everywhere, all just trying to get by (with a little help from their friends.) 
  • I "ain't gonna be nobody's powder monkey."  This I learned in Colorado in a mine tour.  The powder moneys were the young kids who had to do all the disgusting work for the miners.  So, we made up a song and sang it half the way home. 
  • I miss my parents.
  • I love my brothers, and my sister in laws just totally rock. 
  • Jed's presence is always with me. 
Back in California, I find myself wanting to be on the road again, but for now, tending to undone tasks seems a better choice. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment