Sunday, August 29, 2010

Heaven

Do you think much about heaven?  I mean really, do you spend any time at all thinking about heaven?  Well I don't.  I  figure it's there for me and when I get there I will be most pleasantly surprised.  But, except for right now, I don't think much about heaven.  Just like I don't think much about breathing.  My faith is real simple.  God is God.  I believe God is.  And I don't understand the rest.  Actually, I don't think we're supposed to understand.  I just think we're supposed to live the best life we can and God will take care of the rest. 

 We went to a new church today and the sermon was about heaven.  Sunday school discussion was about heaven.  I don't get it.  One of my lovely Christian customers said one day (as I spend lots of time talking about life and the way things are with my customers), "I find it funny, as much as we all talk about how wonderful heaven is, there doesn't seem to be a big rush to get there."  I loved it.  To me, it's life, that is so wonderful, maybe because it's finite.  Heaven on the other hand it infinite.  So the finite must be so very valuable. 

I vote for now.  God will take care of then.  But now is such a remarkable time.  Now we can touch someone's life.  Now we can take a walk with a child.  Now, we can lift the heart of a loved one. Now, we can crack a joke to make a handicap seem more accessible.  Now is what we have.  God has heaven.  And, I expect it to be wonderful. 

When I was growing up, my grandparents would visit often on Sundays and the big deal was greeting them at the gate.  There was joy in running out to meet them and welcoming  them to our home.  I think heaven will be something like that.  Our family members who have gone before will run to greet us, and we we celebrate the joy of knowing.  Knowing.  Knowing one another.  Knowing that what we believed without seeing is the truth.  Knowing that God is God and all his faithfulness has been revealed in our very presence. 

I actually don't think much, or hardly ever, about heaven.  But, just like breathing, and just like I know Jed will walk someday, I know it is there, it's in the bank and the reason we have banks, is so we don't have to think about it.  We know it's there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment