Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I am from a very, very small town in Nebraska.  Actually I lived on a farm 6 miles out of that very, very small town.  Remarkably the folks in that very, very small town (abont 250 people) have kept a ministry going for years. 

They're so small that they have a community church because the town can't support lots of denominations.  That little church has kept a weekly, mind you, weekly newsletter going for years. 

It came today and one of the "articles" was about Grace.  It reads:

"Grace strikes us when, year after year, longed-for perfection does not apper, when the old compulsions reign within  us as they have for decades, when despair destroys all joy and courage.  Sometimes, at that moment, a wave of light breaks into our darkness, and is as though a voice were saying, 'you are accepted, you ae accepted, accepted by that which is greater than you....'  If that happens to us, we experience Grace."  Paul Tillich 

This touched me.  "We did not fall from Grace "has been my on going theme since the life changing fall on April 25, 09. But Grace.  What is it?  Purity.  Purity that even though we are us and experience "us stuff,"  something out there is bigger, knows all, comforts when we let it, guides when we listen, mourns when we mourn and carries us to a new day. 

Grace grants peace.  Grace is God's talcum powder.  I think I would die without it.  Grace allows me to smile and mean it, change bedding and do laundry, watch my husband struggle with pain and loss.  Grace rocks.   It's the misletoe of a real bad deal, it's the aroma in a lovely rose, it's the smile on a child, the battery that works, the plumber who prays and the gardner who cooks.  Grace is eyes open to see goodness and eyes closed to a miserable future.  Grace rocks. 

1 comment:

  1. Grace soothes. Rocking always soothed me. I loved my rocking horse as a toddler, I loved my rocking chair over the years of growing up and still today. I love my hammock, I loved the canter of my horse, the rythm, the calm, the oneness of motion... Did mother rock me as a baby? I suppose she must have. Where else did I learn to love that great peace. I bet there are rockers in heaven...I know there is grace.

    ReplyDelete